[blindkid] inaccessible homework and a quick math question.

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri Dec 16 04:01:42 UTC 2011

Unfortunately I think you're right, but i think Dr.V is correct too-- best to just jump on the coaster and enjoy the ride whenever possible.

One thing that has taken a number of years for me to realize though: I used to feel badly when they would Braille things we didn't really "need". Maybe instructions or study guides or possibly an assignment that we did verbally for whatever reason. One day, it dawned on me that it is simply a part their jobs to prepare this. My child has every right to fully access the same materials including all supporting matter for her schoolwork. Don't get me wrong, I truly appreciate the hard work of all Kendra's teachers, but this is part of what they do for a living.

How many sighted kids use every piece of printed supporting material they have available? Does it mater if they seem to be "ready" for having instructions to read in PRINT? Maybe directions are only read or needed 1 time in 5 or 1 in 20. Maybe they are never used. Still, they are there when needed. Besides, not having instructions or whatever else sighted classmates may have provided for our kids in Braille sends a terrible message to our sons and daughters!

I see this as an extension of what we did when Kendra was a baby. We STILL have Braille on Kendra's bed that says "bed", and there are similar labels on drawers, the dishwasher, doors, you name it. Why did we do it? It helped Kendra to learn, having words to see, just like sighted kids see words all over as babies. Later, they ask "why is this stuff here?" No matter if the "stuff" is print or Braille, kids need to know that reading is important from the very start.

If I were one hundred percent certain we wouldn't need something really complicated to prepare, maybe I'd think about waving them off, but otherwise, that is exactly what I would ask if this happens in the future– "what message are you trying to send my child by intentionally offering her LESS information than all the sighted kids?"

I'd like to hear a reasonable answer to that question from any school system employee. Things are hard enough for our kids when they have the same information as their sighted counterparts. Far too often, our kids are expected to do MORE work with LESS info then the rest of the children. That's just not right.

Anyhow, glad things are improving for you.

Richard

Sent from my iPad