[blindkid] Announcing The NFB Travel and Tourism Division's January Board Meeting and SocialFlights.com

Mary Donahue braille at satx.rr.com
Thu Dec 22 05:45:49 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

                Anyone who flies knows all too well that travel via the
airlines can be one big hassle. The lengthy time spent in airline terminals,
the security checks, missed and canceled flights, and the demeaning and
often discriminatory treatment passengers such as the blind receive from
airline personnel. Don't you wish there was an alternative? What would it be
like to fly like the rich and famous? Would it make it easier for your
chapter or affiliate to attend state and national events by leaving from and
returning to airports closer to home? Would if you didn't have to worry
about lost baggage, canceled or delayed flights, charges for in-flight
amenities once given free to passengers, the list goes on?

                On January 10, 2012 the National Federation of the Blind
Travel and Tourism Division will hold its January Board Meeting at 8:00
Eastern, 7:00 Central, 6:00 Mountain, and 5:00 Pacific Time. . We will have
as our special guest Matt Sloskey, Chief Financial Officer of
http://www.socialflights.com. This company is seeking to introduce business
and leisure travelers tired of scheduled air travel to flying on private
aircraft by utilizing social media such as facebook.com.  Matt will share
with conference participants information about the founding of
SocialFlights.com, how they are using social media to enable individuals to
fly on private jets for roughly the cost of flying on an airline, and will
discuss with us how we can use the Social Flights Model to help members and
other interested individuals attend NFB state and national events such as
the national convention.

If you thought private air travel was just something for the rich and famous
Matt will do his share of myth busting and will; explain how the air charter
industry is changing to create flying opportunities for thos seeking an
alternative to the airlines.

                If you never thought that private flying would be within the
reach of individuals of moderate financial means or wondered what it would
be like to fly on a private aircraft a gentle introduction to private air
charter and information about SocialFlights.com appears below. We encourage
you to read it over and formulate questions for Matt to answer during the
board meeting:

WHY CHARTER AN AIRCRAFT?

The major reasons customers decide on chartering an aircraft as opposed to
utilizing traditional scheduled services include:

*	Cost Effective - Chartering an aircraft is a cost-effective method
to move a group of people to more places in less time. The result is that
passengers and baggage can travel more quickly and efficiently, often
avoiding costly overnight and additional transportation costs. When the cost
of the charter is considered against the number of airline movements and
overnight costs, the real value of charter can be realized.
*	Convenience - Leaving from a private ramp or terminal will take the
unpleasant experiences you've had during airline travel a thing of the past.
Charter customers can also direct which airports are to be used when more
than one choice is involved. Ground transportation will be door to door, and
luggage is kept under your direct control at all times. Often, your luggage
may be accessible in flight.
*	Flexibility - The aircraft is at the disposal of the customer, which
means last minute changes are more easily accommodated. As a charter
customer, you get to set the timetable. There are no penalties for changed
itineraries.
*	Increased Productivity- Passengers can work in a secure,
uninterrupted environment that will enhance productivity.
Utilizing the enroute portion of your trip for briefings and or business
meetings will greatly enhance the productivity of the time spent traveling.
Certain aircraft such as the Global Express are equipped with High-speed
Internet.

About Social Flights

Social Flights began its life in very different places - on the back of a
pancake house napkin where social media and business experts were having
breakfast, in the economic observations of an engineer, and in the back of
an aviation executive's mind over years of industry experience. When the
visionaries met, the ideas merged, began to take shape and to grow.

The idea of filling empty private aircraft, whether positioning or at base,
joined forces with the power and potential of Social Media to become a
Revolution in Air Travel.

We are business managers, economic visionaries, aviation professionals, and
entrepreneurs. We have experience in airlines, travel and government
agencies, and think tanks. We are bloggers, sports fans, environmentalists,
and parents. But mostly we are travelers who are tired of the hassles and
inefficiencies of the current airline system.

Together, we see a better way. We see Social Flights.

How Does it Work?

Social Flights uses social technology in a whole new way to allow
like-minded travelers to find each other efficiently and effectively. Social
Flights gives those travelers the means to share and coordinate their travel
plans and to secure private aircraft for their trips. By allowing these
travelers to use collective buying power to purchase On Demand Flights, the
travelers are able to complete their trips with less frustration, more
convenience, more comfort and with trip costs that are comparable to what
they would have paid had they used scheduled airline service.

Social Fliers form affinity groups called Travel Circles. When Social Fliers
initiate trips, other members of their Circle may be notified, allowing
other Social Fliers to join the flight. Once all seats are filled, Social
Flights verifies all details with the aircraft operator and the Social
Fliers, seats are purchased and the flight is taken. Social Fliers enjoy the
unparalleled convenience and efficiency of private aviation at costs that
even a CFO can endorse.

Social Flights provides travelers with an option to the inadequate scheduled
airline system, allowing them to travel on their own schedule, on budget,
and with less wasted time and energy.

TRAVEL IN A GROUP

https://www.socialflights.com/images/abouus_pic04.jpg

https://www.socialflights.com/images/abouus_pic01.jpg

https://www.socialflights.com/images/abouus_pic05.jpg

Use the collective buying power of a group to enjoy the convenience of
private aviation.

Social Flights give you the power to get out of the security line and get on
with your trip. Whether you travel for business or pleasure, to make a
meeting or to hit the slopes, we make it easy for you to find others whose
interests match your own. By defining your own travel interests, you can
find others who share them and for Travel circles.

In this beta phase, there are Travel circles for cities. As we move forward,
enhancing functionality, there will be Travel Circles for companies, Travel
circles for teams, Travel circles for events - Travel Circles for anywhere
people want to go and for any reason they want to go there.

By joining (or, in later phases, forming) Travel circles, all members enjoy
the benefits of collective buying power when securing the use of private
aircraft for trips. You fly in comfort, privacy and with efficiency while
keeping your total trip costs comparable to what they would have been if you
had flown on an airline.

Join your local Travel circle and circles where you fly frequently. And, as
we develop, explore other circles to find those that match your interests.
If you don't find one, you will be able to create your own. For all circles
you join, Social Flights will notify you about flights as they form.

Use your Travel Circle's purchasing power to enjoy the convenience and value
of private aviation.

REQUEST A FLIGHT

Request a custom Flight on Demand and fly on your own schedule.

By requesting your own On Demand Flight and sharing that flight with
friends, Travel circle members or others within your region, you put the
power of collective buying to work for you. When you find others to share
the cost of your flight on a private plane, you travel more efficiently and
less stressfully at a trip cost that is comparable to what that same trip
would have cost had you flown on a commercial airline.

Tell us where you are, where you want to go, and when you want to go there.
Social Flights gets you options from leading private aviation companies and
helps you design and fill your own On Demand Flight. Why fly on an airline's
schedule when you can request your own?

Skip the hassles and inefficiencies. Fly the way you want to.

Add to the above the many issues and demeaning treatment blind persons have
faced when flying on the airlines over the years. We must continue to
improve access to scheduled air travel for blind persons but let's not
ignore the opportunity to create alternatives to scheduled airline travel
which could make it possible for our members to attend state and national
events in a more efficient manner.

In the coming years as airlines pull out of unprofitable markets, and as the
airline system continues to deteriorate blind air travelers will need to
have access to new air travel models and the resources that make them work.
More services like
Social Flights will appear further opening up travel on private aircraft to
the masses including the blind. Who better to spearhead advocacy in the
private air charter industry than the National Federation of the Blind.

                Join us on Tuesday January 10 for the first NFB Travel and
Tourism Board meeting of 2012 and for an exciting introduction to the next
frontier in air travel. The information for those wishing to participate is
as follows:

The call in number is 1-805-360-1000 this is not a toll free number

once you get the recording you will be asked to put in your participant
access code which is 871517#.

                If you have questions about private air charter in general,
the utilization of social media in the airline industry and how blind
persons can benefit by flying privately join us on January 10, 2012 for this
exciting presentation or to learn about the activities of the NFB Travel and
Tourism Division. Please feel free to share this announcements with others
and where appropriate. We look forward to your participation.

                For additional information contact Cheryl Echevarria
President of the NFB Travel and Tourism Division. Her contact details are
below:

Cheryl Echevarria President:

National Federation of the Blind Travel and Tourism Division

Phone: (631) 236-5138

E-mail: cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com

We look forward to your participation in our January Board Meeting phone
conference.

Peter Donahue