[blindkid] social skills

DrV icdx at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 30 04:38:54 UTC 2011

Hi Zunaira,
A few additional thoughts:
We brought in fun modified games for our kids to play with their
classmates in preschool through 1st grade or so.  My wife put together one
that was a "sorting game" that was really popular with the kids.
Aides are a touchy & emotional subject on this & other listservs, but in
our case the aide facilitated socialization.
Through 5th grade we created a handout for our kid's classmates' parents
that we would pass out at the beginning of the school year that had info
about our sons & on suggestions on how to encourage interactions. I
included some kid-friendly websites & also photos of each of them doing
fun age-appropriated activities like rock climbing, surfing, skiing,
snowboarding etc. The parents really appreciate this & it opens up
opportunities to talk with parents & to be invited to birthday parties &
such. I can email you a copy if you like.
In California playdates are popular & are a really nice way to foster
social interactions.
My younger son really benefited from the social interactions in the speech
therapy group sessions.
Best wishes.
Eric V