[blindkid] AAF Free Braille Books Program Testimonials Needed

Laura Weber weberfam07 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 17 19:40:17 UTC 2011

Dear Parents, Teachers, and Students,

Each year we raise funds for the American Action Fund (AAF) Free Braille
Books Program.  We are in need of testimonials and pictures from parents,
teachers, and blind children regarding the Free Braille Books program.

Have you or your child or student been receiving Braille books from AAF?  If
so, we would like to hear from you, and we're especially interested in
hearing about young readers (K through 5th grade). (No names will be used
with this information.)  You can fill out this short
<http://www.actionfund.org/images/actionfund/docs/word/questionnaire.doc>
questionnaire (click on the word "questionnaire") or send a note and photos
via regular mail, fax, or e-mail to:

Pat Maurer

pmaurer at nfb.org

Fax: 410-685-2340

200 East Wells Street
     at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, Maryland 21230

410-659-9314 ext. 2272

Please respond as soon as possible.

For more information about the Free Braille Books Program, see below.

Thanks.

Laura Bostick Weber, M.Ed.

President, National Organization of Parents of Blind Children (NOPBC)

832-569-4547

 <mailto:president at nopbc.org> president at nopbc.org

 <http://www.nopbc.org> www.nopbc.org

Free Braille Books Program

To read more about the Free Braille Books Program, go to American
<http://www.actionfund.org/actionfund/Free_Braille_Books.asp?SnID=1716093926
>  Action Fund or see below.

In 1997 the AAF started this program to provide blind children a free
Braille book every month from a popular children's reading series. The books
are for the children to keep and collect for as long as they want them. The
titles published every month are the same titles that are available in
bookstores and public libraries everywhere. In the past ten years over one
hundred seventy titles from popular children's reading series were
distributed to thousands of blind children.

Each year the AAF breaks new ground by offering fresh and interesting titles
and series that are sometimes overlooked in the Braille community. In 2004,
AAF's choice of the newly released Matt Christopher sports books series was
a big hit with the program's participants. The sports theme was continued
through 2008 with the Sports Heroes and Legends series.

In 2009, the AAF moved from the playing field to the kitchen, offering
children's literary-themed cookbooks. Braille cookbooks are difficult to
find. Our hope was that children would treasure these books for years to
come.

The choices for 2010 were the Fluffy series by Kate McMullan and the Classic
Starts series. In 2011, Fluffy returns to entertain younger children with
many more exciting adventures. The second series offered this year is the
"Lives of" biographical series by Kathleen Krull.

Participants may choose to receive all or any combination of these titles,
as they like. And the books are free and theirs to keep. Blind youth, blind
parents, teachers of the blind, schools, and libraries serving the blind are
eligible to participate in this program. Participants may enroll in or
withdraw from the program at any time.

To register, fill out our
<http://www.actionfund.org/Forms.asp?MODE=NEW&SnID=1716093926&Forms_FormType
ID=-83> Free Braille Books online application, or use the
<http://www.actionfund.org/images/actionfund/docs/word/AAF_Free_Braille_Book
s_Program_Application.doc> Word version of our Free Braille Books
application to mail, fax, or e-mail to the address below:

American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults
Free Braille Books Program
1800 Johnson Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21230
Phone: (410) 659-9315, ext. 2287