[blindkid] labeling diagrams

Joy Orton ortonsmom at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 17:11:50 UTC 2011

Hi Rosina,
You need to look at two aspects of the learning situation: learning the
information and demonstrating that you have learned it. For learning you can
get creative, but for demonstrating, if it is a test, you want to be careful
of the format.

There is special paper that goes into the copier and raises everything black
on the page. That might work for an enlarged, raised diagram.It gets all of
the lines, including from the label to the diagram. It also raises every
smudge or dot on the page.

Another possiblilty is to make your own tactile cell using craft materials
such as felt, cork, velcro, rickrack, wikki sticks (or bendaroos), chenille
sticks, pom-poms, and more. How do you get all this stuff?
1. Spend a bunch of money at the craft store
2. Raid garage sales for boxes of unfinished crafts
3. Check with aunts, cousins, grandmas, and friends who sew or craft for
scraps from projects.

This is a lot of work, and it may feel awkward if you are not a crafter, but
you can make a really cool diagram of a cell or flower or whatever you are
studying. If the student works with you, it will help him learn the
concepts, and show that he knows them.

You also have to keep in mind that if he has to label a diagram for a test,
he needs to study the same kind of diagram that will be on the test. That
is, if the test has the glue-raised lines, he needs to study the glue-raised
line diagram. Otherwise it's not really a fair test. If it is following the
lines from the label to the item that is the problem, maybe he can point and
answer orally on that part of the test.

Hope this helps.