[blindkid] on the subject of perspective

Rene Harrell rjharrell at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 07:54:18 UTC 2011

Carol and Heather, I could not agree with you more, so I'm just going to say
"I totally agree!"

His drawing is beautiful. I found it almost painful to watch as an
accomplished artist had his hands yanked around repeatedly by a well-meaning
Harvard professor who couldn't help but come across as condescending. When
the professor was doing both the experiment with having Esref draw after
feeling various three dimensional shapes, and when Esref needed to feel the
building at the end that he was to draw, instead of stepping back and
allowing Esref to explore on his own, the professor was grabbing him by the
hands and shoving his hands onto each object as he saw fit. I don't think
there was any ill intention, but it truly makes me cringe. It's one thing to
guide, it's another to pull and shove, and the presumption of helplessness
and the benevolent yet misguided violation of another person's bodily
integrity in that kind of gesture will always make me wince.

Barbara--- I'm with you on the art talent. Thankfully my kids are all young
enough to still be impressed *wink.

--
" I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up
where I needed to be."