[blindkid] ipod touch/nano/cell phones?

SUSAN POLANSKY sepolansky at verizon.net
Wed Jan 26 03:32:52 UTC 2011

Our son got his first cell phone when he was 11 as he was going to be on his own
each day after school. He has had 2 LG Verizon flip phones that talk, the
current one reads text messages, a feature that he wanted [at 14 texting has
become important to him socially]. He has found these phones suitable to his
needs and we have found that they do not break the bank. When his phone broke
last summer I went to the Verizon web site and read up on the available phones
to make sure we bought one that could be set to talk. These phones do
not require any specific plan or internet access in order for the voice feature
to work. If you decide to look into a Verizon phone with speech just be sure you
have the information about the phone and the talking feature with you go to the
Verizon store. We have bought phones from Verizon at 4 different stores and no
one at any of the stores were aware that the phone could be set to talk, they
all thought I was referring to the voice command feature. He also has an iPod
Nano which has a very good voice over feature and is less expensive than an
iTouch. The iPod shuffle also has voice over but it is not as detailed as the
Nano and has less storage space. The Braille Press has a book available in
Braille and CD on how to use the accessible  iPod and iTunes, Jason read this to
set up his iTunes and to buy his music.

Susan