[blindkid] HAPPY DANCE! National Convention Orlando Many Yearsto Come

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Sun Jul 10 03:33:20 UTC 2011

I think the Texas location is nearly as nice as the one in Orlando (in some ways maybe a little nicer, though you'll have to settle for one pool inside and one outside). There is however, a swim-up bar outside and in fact, I think there is a third pool inside the extra-cost sports center there for laps. The Dallas walking track is smaller, but smoother and there's no golf course. I was sort of hoping we'd keep going back-and-forth between Dallas and Orlando myself, but I have no problem with Orlando.

There are some "old timers" (sorry folks! what should I call you?) here who can give you WAY more history than I can, but this was our 8th convention. We've done Kentucky and Detroit once each, Atlanta twice, Dallas three times and Orlando this past week. Flying is a hassle for us as well as really expensive. We generally come with five of us (except this year with only four). I've driven each time to avoid the concerns above, and also because the kids are happiest if we bring half of the contents of our house with us.

I think there were at least three Kentucky conventions and three or four in Atlanta (probably four?). Kendra is eight, so more than eight years ago, we had no idea about the NFB. With all of this said, I'd mention that we are actually FROM Atlanta, and I'd rather travel to Dallas or Orlando than go to the convention in Atlanta, only 12 miles from our house-- the facility makes a huge difference. Just my 2-cents worth.

I do understand that it has also been on the west coast, but not for many years. Also, remember that the National Center is in Maryland, about 900 miles from Orlando, so it isn't like this is being done to keep Dr. Maurer and the rest on a short travel routine. I suspect it must be about cost and efficiency as much as anything else. I have hear a number of times that costs come down when we do multi-year-contracts as well.

For myself, I thought the facility in Orlando was great and  the staff was top notch. This also seems an especially nice location for the NOPBC, with so many things to do with kids while we're at the convention. We had a much harder time entertaining a couple of small children in Detroit, I can say that with absolute certainty! Same thing with Dallas (not as bad as Detroit, but nothing like Orlando).

It may also seem a small point, but this was the first in eight years of convention-going that the elevators were not a total disaster that alone can really wreak havoc. We were on the sixth floor and were up-and-down a lot. Travel time from Lobby to the 6th floor was about 5 or 6 seconds (literally) and I rarely had to wait more than 30 seconds for an elevator (often there was no wait). In Kentucky and even Dallas, at times there have been 5 and 10 minute waits for elevators to arrive-- leaving Kentucky we got jammed up and had to wait for probably 30 minutes just to get a bellman upstairs and then nearly as long to get back down. We got plenty of good from ALL the conventions, but this year by comparison? Far, far better logistically...

One more thing that will probably become clear by 2013 and continue for a few years. From what I have seen, the second, and following years are better at a lot of locations. The facilities get things working more smoothly and we all learn what is where better so things get smoother all around. If this was the roughest year for Orlando, given how well everything seemed to go, we have some future "smooth sailing" to look forward to.