[blindkid] convention location

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Sun Jul 10 16:17:48 UTC 2011

I don't disagree with some concerns over location being in the same place for many years for certain reasons, but it is really not something we have any actual control over. I was just pointing out that compared to other past locations, Orlando does offer a number of extra features both at the convention (great facility and staff) and nearby (family attractions, grocery store across the street) that are simply not available elsewhere (at least compared to the last 10 or so years' convention locations). All we could find of interest in Detroit, for example, was a children's museum and a spooky, deserted park area. Surely there was more than that available, but by comparison it was shopping at a 7-11 as compared to shopping in Wal Mart, where family activities were concerned, and Detroit felt outright dangerous to me.

This is not an option, nor am I suggesting it should be, but if the NOPBC convention were not part of the NFB convention wherever it goes for example, I think you could quickly multiply room rates and other facility charges by a factor or 3 or 4, so any travel savings would quickly evaporate into the hotel bill and convention fees. Obviously, the goal for many of is is also to be involved in an organization where our kids and grow into true roles of self-advocacy and independence as they get older, so they need to be where the adults are for convention as they get older as well, and I would not want to miss the information I get at general sessions myself. This is a "package plan" in that regard-- kids through youth into adult.

Local affiliations are important for many reasons, and indeed at least some State NFB chapters are in a position to help at least some families get to the convention. Some states charter motor coaches to come to convention or rent vans, etc., as well. At least in our state, I know these services have been offered to parents, sometimes at a discount. This could be worth looking into.

Speaking just for our family, convention has become an anticipated part of our budget and our only major "vacation" most every year. Having a blind child is expensive and life changing for most of us in many ways. This (planning for conventions) is one of the things it has changed in our home. Conventions are in that list of expenses we never thought we'd need to deal with, just like buying PAC Mates and BrailleNotes, Embossers, Copies of JAWS, NFB Readers, Victor Readers, Braille Books, Prosthetic Eyes... The list goes on and on. (No doubt we each have a similar list.)

If you are a member of the parents division, you are a member of the NFB as well, so absolutely get involved with not only your State POBC if one exists, but also your state and or local NFB chapter, and if there is no state POBC where you are, maybe affiliate with a neighboring state or do what we did and start your own State Chapter!

Great seeing so many of you at convention as always!

Richard