[blindkid] Fwd: Webinar on teaching skills of blindness

Lenora J. Marten bluegolfshoes at aol.com
Mon Jul 18 14:03:04 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

Passing on this wonderful opportunity - if you are interested, please
contact Elayne off list at solinox at solinoxenterprises.com.

Hope everyone has a great Monday!!

Lenora

My aunt, Anna Yard, is about to graduate from                      the teaching program at
                      Louisiana Tech. I've been chatting with her a lot                      in the last couple of
                      months. She's been talking with folks across the                      country as she
                      finishes her program, and even attended the NFB                      conference this year in
                      Florida. She's been absolutely shocked at what she                      has learned about
                      education for the blind today, as in how little                      many schools try to get
                      away with, how much they shortchange the blind,                      and how little access
                      there is to professional teachers for the blind                      outside of the school
                      system. She knows about this group, and is hoping                      to provide whatever
                      help she can.

                      She called me this weekend to say one of her                      professors, Dr. Ruby Ryles
                      (I believe she runs the O&M program there at                      Louisiana Tech), would like
                      to put on a webinar for folks interested in                      learning more. She's
                      thinking about not just us homeschoolers, but also                      other folks who are
                      new to the world of blindness and just don't know                      the potential for
                      their children or how to help them. She needs at                      least 25 people in
                      order to put this on, and expects it to be                      something that lasts for a
                      few hours over one or two Saturdays. Materials and                      transcripts would
                      likely be made available afterward, but this is                      intended to be a live
                      presentation. Time and date will be set once we                      have a participant
                      list, so we can best accommodate folks in                      different parts of the world.

                      Anybody who is interested, please let me know,                      along with a list of
                      questions or topics you would like to discuss.                      I'll collect this and
                      pass it on to my aunt and Dr. Ryles, and let you                      all know when things
                      get finalized. I'm excited about this opportunity!

                      Elayne