[blindkid] Independence Check Lists

Debbie Gabe gabe808 at hawaiiantel.net
Fri Jul 29 03:31:35 UTC 2011

Well, these are the million dollar questions.....

I would begin with the basics. I don't know how old your child is or what he or she can and cannot do, but....
Just thinking back to when my kids were in school, there were always kids from the class who went to the office to deliver things, counted the lunch money, delivered messages to the library or school nurse, etc. So if your kid needs help with mobility, I would expect him/her to be included in the rotation to take on any and all classroom chores, as any other kid would do.
If he's learning about money and food, he should learn how to count money, about decimals, identifying coins, how to fold money, how to shop with customer service, the layout of most grocery stores, etc. Don't let the teacher teach him how to use wallets with a bunch of different zippered pockets. Make sure he learns how to fold his currency. So it all depends on what his curriculum is. ADL and mobility skills can be fitted in in a lot of places in different subjects.
A trip to the grocery store includes mobility, money, math, percentages for sale prices, use of talking calculators, , besides nutrition, classifying fruits, vegetables, etc., learning to read nutrition labels, math again (percentage of calories from fat, etc), cchemical names of ingredients or vitamins and minerals, geography (where is the food grown, packaged, bottled, etc), ecology (how did the food get to your store, how long did it have to travel, how did it travel, what kind of energy was used to transport it, what kind of carbon "footprint" does it leave).

And whatever lessons were being done at school, I would try to do them at home as well.  I think a lot of ADL tasks can be taught just as part of living. If school is working on math at the store, take the kid with you and talk about figuring out costs with the 20% off sale or how much you saved at the market when you used your store awards card, what percentage does that equal, or what is the family budget for groceries for the week and did you make it or overspend, and what happens when you overspend or have money left over for the week?  Let him ask for customer service for help shopping for, at first, just one or two items, and then increase the number. Have him help you unpack the groceries at home, identify them, put them away, discuss what they will be used for in what recipes, which foods support goodhealth and which are special treat items, which are grown locally and which are imported, etc.  Is there a nearby store you can walk to so he can get used to that, as well as carrying packages home after shopping? Does he know how to listen for parallel and perpendicular traffic at street corners and listening to the flow of traffic as the lights change?

This is where a good blind mentor might be able to help you.

Don't know if any of that helps.

I appreciate your enthusiasm & passion, & also agree with much of what you
say, but as far as ADLs, what would you suggest adding to a child's IEP
that would actually accomplish something of significance?
How would you phrase goals?
Young adults may catch on quickly, but many kids require lots of practice
& repetition to really master ADLs independently.
Beyond the "lack of time" issue that I hear oh too often in TVI forums,
the unspoken, but very real reality is that many, likely most, VI teachers
don't have the experience and training to teach ADLs any better than a
parent. They also don't have the experience and training to explain to a
parent how to teach these activities at home. ADLs are a huge deficiency
gap in their training.
Respectfully,
Eric V