[blindkid] Described Videos

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Wed Jun 1 01:36:27 UTC 2011

I have found this all very useful as well. I am wondering if we aren't all a good deal closer to more DVS than we may realize. First of all, it looks like quite a few current titles are coming out with DVS, so if you're buying current DVD's, check for the Description feature.

The other thing is that there are DVS simulcasts over the air and on cable fairly often, both for kids and adults. Seems like, they are pretty much undocumented (at least so far as I can tell). From what I read, I think current Sesame Street broadcasts over at least some PBS stations may be described now. Atlanta's PBS seems not to send out an alternative audio program, though the main Georgia station which covers the entire northern part of the state (Atlanta included) supposedly does.

From what I can gather, they aren't really sending things out properly and they didn't know it until now. I have been told an engineer is looking into the problem and they have asked for my contact info to give to the engineer. I suspect many areas actually do have PBS shows working with DVS. It may be must like what Crystal found with her Toy Story DVD; the audio is right there and just a menu selection away...

A day or two ago, I found that TBS was sending DVS over the alternative audio feed when I checked on a lark. They were running Blue Streak (Martin Lawrence)-- a bit of a mature theme for Kendra, but interesting to run across. with audio description... This morning on Nick, I happened across "Dora the Explorer" and checked. Sure enough, DVS was there too. Strangely, according to the TiVo and Comcast schedules, it wasn't supposed to be on at the time. While the show on TBS behaved normally, I was surprised to discover that nearly all the commercials on the Nick program were running with no audio (only when DVS was selected). No great loss for us though-- (I don't care for commercials much).

Later, also on Nick and with the alternate audio still selected, the kids asked where all the words went. I stopped and listened. Sure enough, no words, just music. No words in the opening theme and not in the program itself either-- only music and sound effects. We switched back to the main audio feed and all was normal.

What it comes down to is that what they used to call Separate Audio Program, or  "SAP" (and I tend to call it that still in case I use that by mistake in a post) which is now generally an alternative language selection with digital programming, can contain anything that the broadcaster wants to send. Sometimes it really is an alternative language, generally Spanish. Sometimes it is DVS, Sometimes the audio channel is not present, or it can be present but blank (silent). C-Span (in Atlanta at least) runs an unrelated audio program (maybe a radio rebroadcast?). One local station here used to rebroadcast "Weather Radio" on the SAP 24/7. If you're curious, look around under your audio menu on your TV or in other places like that (I get to mine best through a TiVo system).

One important note if you're using a DVR like TiVo. I suspect in all cases, but certainly with TiVo, if you record, you only get one audio selection-- whatever is chosen as the show records. If you record with DVS, that is what you have after you're done. If there is unselected DVS options when you record, it is gone. If you record with Spanish running, you get Spanish... This apparently is to keep recordings as small as possible.

It is all a little complex, but I'm inspired and going to keep watching until I find a pattern and learn what shows are available on TV around here. Maybe I'll also figure out a list that's available somewhere of shows running with DVS and make this simpler.

I'd still love to hear what others are finding in their local cable and broadcast areas as fas as DVS either on or off list!

For now, I'll turn my attention back to the TV show running here. though It is family movie night again and we're watching Toy Story 2, with-- you guessed it, DVS.