[blindkid] Is anyone finding any DVS on their local PBS affiliate?

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Thu Jun 2 12:58:42 UTC 2011

I'm finding enough DVS programs broadcast now that I have some confidence that I'm looking in the right place, but I'm still getting nothing from PBS in Atlanta on either local PBS affiliate (we have two). I have found DVS on shows from Nickelodeon, TBS, and TCM broadcast all within the last week.

I'm wondering if anyone else is finding any DVS on their local PBS shows, while I wait for one local PBS station to tell me what they believe they are actually broadcasting with DVS available.

If anyone could tell me (on or off list) what they happen to get with Audio Description (DVS) and what PBS affiliate they get it from, I'd really appreciate it!

Here is a list of shows that WGBH site says are described on PBS:

Animalia
Arthur
Barney and Friends
Between the Lions
Curious George
Cyberchase
Design Squad
Dragon Tales
Fetch! with Ruff Ruffman
Franny's Feet
It's A Big Big World
Martha Speaks
Mister Rogers' Neighborhood (select episodes of the series air with description)
Real Simple
Sagwa, The Chinese Siamese Cat
Simply Ming (select episodes of this series air with description)
Thomas and Friends
The Victory Garden (select episodes of this series air with description)

I just checked Curious George here this morning and I wasn't getting DVS on that, for example.

I'll keep checking what I'm able but it seems like if they were sending here at all, I'd have found something by now.

I have read that Sesame Street (on PBS) is described in one source but not in another so I'm particularly confused about Sesame Street. (Apparently WGBH did not do the descriptions but Children's Television Workshop definitely offers DVS on at least some Sesame Street DVDs-- I have seen "Described" Sesame Street samples on-line as well). So, if anyone can check Sesame Street on their local PBS affiliate, that would be really helpful as well.

Note that the same shows may not be described on one network while they are on another. For example, Nickelodeon sends Dora the Explorer out with DVS but Nick Jr., (also a Nickelodeon station) is not sending Dora with DVS at this time. Likewise, I suspect Sprout, a PBS station (PBS is a partial owner of Sprout) may not be sending DVS even on shows that PBS itself may send with DVS (such as Thomas and possibly Sesame Street).

Again, if anyone can tell me what shows they find DVS on (or if the show is on the list but you don't get it with DVS) and the PBS affiliate that is broadcasting, that would be really helpful. I'd love to build a picture of what is really going on with PBS and DVS programming at this time. (Oh, and please also tell me if you're getting it over the air or what cable system is feeding it, apparently that can be an issue as well.)

Thanks so much!