[blindkid] New Family

Debby B bwbddl at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 20:36:15 UTC 2011

Welcome, Heather! We also adopted our daughter at 3yo. Winona came home12 years
ago from Hong Kong. Spend your waiting time learning what you can, attend a
convention, or get with folks in your area. It was such a joy when we attended
our first convention a year have Winona came home and saw for ourselves just how
independent and capable the blind can be. We'd never been around the blind, but
Winona quickly taught us that she could, and would, do everything her new
brothers could do. Our friends in the NFB have taught us how to help her
accomplish her goals.

Once your son gets home, treat him as any other kid. Just add in lots of verbal
and lots of touching. And then add some more! <grin>
Congrats!

 Debby
bwbddl at yahoo.com

~"Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can read."~Mark
Twain