[blindkid] {Disarmed} Article: Successful treatment for lessening effects of autism-spectrum ..

H. Field missheather at comcast.net
Wed Mar 2 01:50:38 UTC 2011

FYI:
Respen-A and Autism - An Important Treatment To Consider For Anyone
On The Autism-Spectrum

by Kurt Woeller

An exciting new therapy called Respen-A is showing great benefit for
individuals on the autism spectrum with respects to some of their
core issue such as language delay, socialization, self-stimulatory
behavior and cognitive dysfunction. Respen-A has been available since
2008, but not until recently has increased interest been recognized
within the autism community of its benefits. So what is Respen-A and
what does it do?

Respen-A is a small disc (about the size of a nickel) applied to the
skin once daily for 12 hours. In the disc is an ingredient called
reserpine in a small dose that helps to activate a particular enzyme
in the human bo dy called Monoamine Oxidase A (MAO-A). MAO-A helps
metabolize three primary neurotransmitters called histamine,
serotonin and norepinephrine. In autism, serotonin is greatly
affected which results in issues such as poor mood regulation,
tantrums, and anxiety. Also, fine and gross motor skills,
self-regulation problems, and sensory system imbalances such as
touch, sound, etc. are prevalent too.

Reserpine is a known as a MAO-A agonist which means it promotes MAO-A
activity, and in doing so helps to turn serotonin over into what's
called its active aldehyde form. This aldehyde form called
5-hydroxyindoleacetaldehyde (5-HIAL) complexes with the post-synaptic
serotonin receptor to influence the physiological effects of serotonin.

Reserpine comes from an Indian herb called Rauwolfia serpentina or
snakeroot. In 1955, the FDA approved reserpine for the treatment of
hypertension at a dose of 0.1- 0.5mg. The actual amount of reserpine
found in Respen-A is .01 mg, which i s about 10 to 50 times less than
was used in the other forms of reserpine products.

Respen-A was first introduced in November 2008 as a viable therapy
for autism-related disorders. The impetus for this therapy came from
research that was published in 1957 in the Journal of Nervous and
Mental Disease. A study had been done with reserpine in a group of
autistic children using an oral elixir dose between 3 - 7 mg (much
higher than is found in Respen-A). What they discovered in these kids
was better verbal communication, improved eye contact, much less self
stimulatory behavior, improved general awareness, willingness to
play, and willingness to socialize. These are the same types of
things I am seeing with many autistic children who are doing the
Respen-A therapy.

There are two main areas that appear to be helped the most with
Respen-A. These are speech and socialization problems, but it must be
understood that others area related to autism described above can be
improved as well. Speech improvements with Respen-A seem to manifest
as more complex speech, expressive and specific. As some parents have
described to me, their child's speech has become more purposeful and
deliberate. Socialization seems to manifest with children becoming
more aware of others around them (particularly other children), and
they are more interested in interacting and happier to do so. Mood
has also been improved with this therapy as well.

Side effects of any therapy are an important part of the discussion
and Respen-A is no exception. Thankfully, side effects from this
therapy have been minimal and easy to deal with. In the early use of
reserpine at high dosages such as the case in the 1957 study some
children experienced excessive sleepiness, dry mouth, and fatigue
(possibly from lower blood pressure). When the dosage was pushed
upwards of 10 aa??" 12 mg some kids started to take on adverse
neurological complications similar to Parkinson's with impai red
gait, slowed physical movements and tremors. With Respen-A the main
side effect is initial hyperactivity in a small number of children
which is easily remedied by decreasing the size of the patch
application. Also, calcium supplementation is necessary with Respen-A
to help prevent against irritability which can happen as reserpine
has a tendency to drop blood calcium levels a bit. Finally,
individuals on Respen-A need to eat some protein every day, i.e.
fish, chicken, beef, turkey, or take an amino acid supplement such as
5-HTP to help replenish lost stores of serotonin via MAO-A activity.
Overall, the side effects of Respen-A are minimal and easily
accounted for with these additional steps.

Respen-A therapy has been very helpful for individuals on the
autism-spectrum, and in my experience has shown a positive response
rate of 75-80% and greater. These are exceptional numbers and I
consider it to be one of the higher ranking therapies used in
treating many of the core issues in autism. For more information
about Respen-a please visit (<http://www.respen-a.com/>www.respen-a.com).

http://www.naturalnews.com/031525_Respen-A_autism.html
I hope this helps. I do not sell anything nor am I involved in any
kind of diagnosis, treatment of anything ... I post this only for
informational purposes.

MARKETPLACE