[blindkid] Cane choices

Merry-Noel Chamberlain owinm at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 29 03:33:22 UTC 2011

Richard and others,

Exactly, folding canes are great when it comes to bike riding, etc., and as an extra cane for traveling.  The less the folds, the better, too.  Telescoping canes can close up when it hits a curb or step or even a crack in the sidewalk.  As the telescoping cane gets used, it will often close up for no reason.

As for a "White Cane Buyer's Guide"  (love the title, btw), I don't have one of those but I did write an O&M Parent Handbook that I give to all my students.  I can send you a copy - Feel free to use it, copy it and pass on to teachers, grandparents, paraprofessionals - anyone who works with our students.

As for a website for parents to go to regarding O&M questions/activities... I'm working on that right now.  I'll let you know when it is up and running.  Until then, look over the O&M Parent Handbook and/or email me.

If anyone wants a copy of the O&M Parent Handbook - email me at owinm at yahoo.com and place O&M Parent Handbook in the subject line.

Merry-Noel Chamberlain, NOMCT
Orientation and Mobility
Teacher of Students with Visual Impairments