[blindkid] Geometry for next year

MARK FELIZ felizfamily5 at msn.com
Mon May 2 02:25:55 UTC 2011

Hello Bonnie,

I have been successful in requesting a student aide, a student who knows
math well and receives elective credit for being a teacher's aide, for my
students. It is also very important to coordinate with the classroom teacher
to insure that your blind student has all the supplemental handouts along
side her peers. Most of my teachers that I deal with do tend to alter at the
last minute; however, I try to schedule my students' math classes later in
the day so I can get a head start on last minute handouts.

Also, make sure your child fully understands one, two, and three dimensional
raised line drawings ahead of time. Make sure the teacher has a good variety
of tactual three-D shapes. If the teacher primarily uses his own curriculum
handouts for the class do not allow him to resort to using the braille book
for your blind student. In this case I find that the student is not given
the same teaching and concepts as the rest of the class.

Let us hear how it goes.
Mark F

Mark Feliz
President, National Federation of the Blind of Arizona
East Valley Chapter
1038 West Hillview Street
Mesa, Arizona  85201
Home Phone: 480-890-8943
Cell Phone: 480-560-0641
National Federation of the Blind, Pledge.

I pledge.
to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation of the
Blind.
to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind.
To support the policies and programs of the Federation.
and to abide by its constitution.