[blindkid] Here Today, Gone Tomorrow; The Day the Lights Went Out

Penny Duffy pennyduffy at gmail.com
Fri May 13 16:02:26 UTC 2011

Eric,

Thank you so much for sharing that.  We struggle every day with how much to
push my daughter (she gets pushed a lot). There really isn't a lot of choice
in the matter though. While she has some usable vision text is
very inaccessible to her.  Her reading braille at grade level

She is behind in reading (though I think she is doing amazing writing)  She
had 20/20 vision last year but she wasn't a reader.  Today she is blind but
she is a reader.  She started  learning braille in November (She is in first
grade).  She is lucky to have have had her vision loss now and not say 2
year , 5 or 10 years from now. Kids just pick it up easier the younger they
learn. . I can't see a negative to learning Braille. My sighted child loves
learning little bits of Braille. My daughter wrote my son a note yesterday
day and he loved 'decoding it'.

I get so upset hearing about children not being taught these skills because
they have some level of vision.

I really enjoyed what you said. It was actually very uplifting.  I think it
something that could (and should) find its way in Future Reflections.

--
--Penny