[blindkid] slate and stylus

Merry-Noel Chamberlain owinm at yahoo.com
Sat May 14 04:36:20 UTC 2011

Penny,
One very important thing to remember are the dot numbers for each letter.  When writing on the slate one must know the dot numbers and realize that the dot numbers are the mirror image of the letter when it is read.  To start with the slate and stylus, sometimes I use the following that you can get through APH.

Pop-a-Cell – create letters back and forth
PegCell – create words back and forth.

Also, to gain some practice before actually getting to the slate and stylus, I've used play dough.  I have them make a long snake and then press it flat.  Using the stylus or a peg toy to press holes in the play dough from the right to the left.

Another thing to do is place a sheet of Braille paper on the carpet (or get a carpet square from the store) and use the stylus to poke holes through the paper - all over the place - willy-nilly - then turn the paper over and discover how many letters were made.  This activity does NOT involve the slate...

As they get better, I use the sentences in THE SLATE BOOK to practice - I like to have someone read them to a student and myself as we compete to complete the sentence the fastest with the least amount of mistakes.

Oh, and I don't use the word 'backwards'... I use 'mirror image' or 'flipped'.

Above all - HAVE FUN!

Merry-Noel