[blindkid] slate and stylus

Bonnie Lucas lucas.bonnie at gmail.com
Sat May 14 18:28:36 UTC 2011

I do not use the slate and stylus as I once did. When I was in college, I
only took notes using a slate and stylus so I think I was pretty good at it.
Braille writers are, of course, to noisy and too big. I am not a person who
could stand to go back to a tape to pick out the worthwhile notes again.
Tried that for about a week and decided it was way too much work. Sometimes
I am amazed that I used a slate and stylus because at this point in my life,
it is very difficult to focus on what the speaker is saying as well as what
I'm writing. When you forget what you are writing, hapapens all the time
with me, then you have to quickly check and then you are no longer listening
to the speaker. I truly appreciate digital technology but I always have a
slate with me in case my battery isn't charged for some reason or something
else unexpected happens. Also, sometimes it is easier to get a slate set up
than it is to get to the right file to start writing with a note taker. AS
far as being confusing, I just tell new learners that everything you do with
the slate is on the right except for the reading. Therefore, it opens on the
right, dot 1 is on the right and you start at the right end of the slate. I
like the idea of using the slate to identify assignments as Eric mentioned
in his post. I havent' convinced Aubrie that that would be a good idea but I
guess she manages to get everything handed in without getting things mixed
up.