[blindkid] Why good O&M training is so important

Aaron Cannon cannona at fireantproductions.com
Wed Nov 2 13:53:22 UTC 2011

This video posted on the Yahoo Accessibility blog seeks to demonstrate
the need for accessible crossing signals.  However, in my opinion it
manages to do just the opposite quite nicely.

http://yaccessibilityblog.com/wp/blind-people-cross-street.html

I find it troubling that he talks about needing the signal "to
indicate that it's safe for me to cross the street."  Even worse is
his comment "I don't have to listen for the traffic coming the other
way, I can just listen to the tone."

He also calls crossing without a signal "daunting" and "scary".

I can understand that such crossings can be quite daunting and scary
if you don't have good training or practice making such crossings, so
I don't really fault him for that.  However, I fear that people,
especially other blind people, watching this video will assume that
that's how it is for everyone.

Finally, I do think that accessible signals can have their place, but
certainly not the type shown in this video, which seem like they could
actually interfere with listening to the traffic.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share.

Aaron Cannon