[blindkid] Rozelle Wins Two American Humane Dog Hero Awards

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Sat Nov 12 18:31:38 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

    Last night Roselle, a guide dog of Mike Hingson received two awards from
the American Humane Association for her courage and devotion to her work and
her master particularly on 9/11. Mike spoke several times during the
presentation and emphasized the importance of the man-dog relationship and
the team work that allowed Roselle to not only lead him safely out of the
World Trade Center but to help other evacuees escape certain death.

    The American Humane Association awards an annual "Dog Hero" award along
with awards for dogs in various categories such as guide dogs. The
presentations were broadcast on the Hallmark Channel last night. Mary and I
watch and cheered loudly when Mike was presented with Roselle's awards.
Roselle received The American Humane Associations Distinguished Guide Dog
Award as well as the 2011 Dog Hero Award.

    Mike also told the audience that the name "Roselle"has been retired by
Guide Dogs for the Blind due to her notoriety and her distinguished place in
the history of the Guide Dog Movement.

    Those who know the history of The Seeing Eye will know that the name
"Buddy" was retired from use for many of the same reasons. Buddy was the
first Seeing Eye Dog of Morris Frank. All of his subsequent dogs were also
named "Buddy." Upon Morris's death the name "Buddy" was retired and is no
longer in use. Buddy now has company in the annals of guide dog history.
Congratulations to Mike Hingson and Roselle.

Peter Donahue

 Will you come and awake our lost land from its slumber
And her fetters we'll break, links that long are encumbered.
      And the air will resound with hosannas to greet you
      On the shore will be found gallant Irishmen to greet you."
Will You Come to the Bower
Traditional Irish Folk Song