[blindkid] Playlistening, imaginative play, art play???? Cross post

Carol Castellano carol_castellano at verizon.net
Tue Oct 18 00:25:17 UTC 2011

Hi Marie,

We definitely needed to teach/encourage this kind of play in
Serena.  The beginning of it happened accidentally.  I was lying on
the living room floor when Serena went to sit down and accidentally
landed on me.  "Hey, what am I, a sofa?" l laughed.  Well, Serena
thought this was hysterical and proceeded to get up and sit down on
me several times.  Seizing the learning moment :-), I started saying
things like, "OK, now YOU pretend to be the sofa and I"LL sit on
YOU!"  So i stuck the word pretend in there and we played this game
for quite a while.

The next episode I remember was when her little brother was about 2
or 3 and Serena was 5 or 6.  For a long time she had no use at all
for this interloper in our lives and this became the first time she
actually played with him.  We used to read lots of books about animal
families and one morning we were all lying around in bed and I said,
why don't I be the lion mama and you be the cubs.  They both really
enjoyed this and it became another pretend game that we could play.

We eventually expanded to acting out stories like Jack and the
Beanstalk, with each of us taking a different part.

I tried to persuade her to play school with a little schoolhouse and
little people dolls, but really, she only did this when I was right
next to her, leading it along.  Eventually, she began to make up
elaborate stories and would sit on her hippity-hop and tell them out
loud.  (She stopped immediately if she heard us coming, btw.)  I
always wondered if this was the equivalent to pretend play with
figures or objects, when kids make up the situation and the dialogue.

Hope some of this helps.

Best wishes,
Carol

Carol Castellano