[blindkid] help for blind/autistic 14 yr old

Tom and Deb OConnor toc6642 at charter.net
Thu Oct 20 02:08:55 UTC 2011

He is in mainstream school - things are becoming difficult.  He is in
8th grade - he just for the first time, has a perkins brailler at home -
that came on Oct.12.  TOday for the first time - they  downloaded a NVDA
screen reading program for him to use at home.  He has never used his
braillenoter at home yet.  She wanted to set that up with computer today
, but wrong adapter - so waiting about a week or so for that.  This year
is starting off poorly and difficult communication.  I have spoken to to
people on the state level - put I don't want to go that route if I don't
have too - I truly want to find a different setting for him with a
experienced autism teacher and vision teacher.  His vision teacher has
done a pretty good job with skills when I look at IEP - but why no
equipment at home???  Dumb me did not even ask as I assumed this was how
they did it in Mn.  When I started asking for homework or practice
material - they could not comprehend what I wanted.  Then they email me
district policy rules on homework.  I assumed that they would expect him
to practice skills at home - that was a wrong assumption. I am learning
a lot and have a better understanding of IEP etc.  Long learning process
and mistakes on my part made on this journey.

Tom & Debbie O'Connor
toc6642 at charter.net