[blindkid] Talking Books vs saving for braille reading.

Brandy W branlw at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 7 13:28:24 UTC 2011

Sorry for the late reply, but I was in the hospital and couldn't keep up.
Talking books are good as most children can comprehend 2-4 years above their
reading level. However it is very very important for her to be reading that
Braille. I'd probably make her read so many pages in Braille and then she
can have the talking books. You may also think about trying Braille with the
book playing for her to follow along. Having just reread the whole series of
little house I wouldn't at second grade let her read anything beyond the
long winter. Little town on the prairie and beyond are not second grade
books unless you are OK with her learning about old time dating and some
nasty behavior. They are however awesome books. All the American girl books
are awesome. has she Read Henry and Mudge in Braille? A-z mysteries, and
Amber Brown books are also good for her level.

Have fun reading!

Bran

"When we treat children's play as seriously as it deserves, we are helping
them feel the joy that's to be found in the creative spirit. It's the things
we play with and the people who help us play that make a great difference in
our lives."
- Fred Rogers

Brandy Wojcik
Discovery Toys Educational Consultant and Team Leader
www.playtoachieve.com
(512) 689-5045

Looking for team members nation wide!