[blindkid] Talking Books vs saving for braille reading.

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Tue Sep 13 03:44:51 UTC 2011

Hi Penny,
I think you're on the right track. I'm from the old school. The way to
become a good braille reader is braille reading. Lots and lots and lots and
lots of it. Bribe, cajol, reward, even lose some priveliges if goals aren't
met. But, have that child read braille, every day, every night, braille,
braille, braille.

This is actually quite a simple technical issue. The more hours readers
spend touching dots and turning them into meaning in their brains, the
better they get at doing it.

I detest talking books myself and have been an avid and fluent braille
reader since early childhood. It sounds like your daughter is going to
become the same. Just keep the reading material high interest and give her
lots of opportunities to write and read her own work. She sounds like she's
already flapping her little braille wings. Look out for the down draught
when she takes off.
Best,
Heather