[blindkid] OT with sensory processing experience

Heather Breems heatherbreems at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 01:31:18 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

I am sorry I have not posted since we brought our adopted son Carlo home
from Haiti, but with 3 boys under 3 years old we have been busy!  It has
been amazing though to see how much progress Carlo has made in only two
months after spending two years basically in a crib all day and night.  He
is already walking on his own, feeding himself and repeating words in
English.

I realize this is a national group but I am hoping for some leads on how to
find a skilled OT in Illinois with experience in sensory processing issues.
 Carlo finally had his first session with a vision teacher and his main
areas of concern right now are that he is a very strong sensory seeker and
has a hard time with transitions.  Since he turns 3 in October we will only
receive early intervention services from this vision teacher for the next 4
weeks.  We live in the City of Chicago and unfortunately I am already having
lots of difficulty in working with them and getting him evaluated for
preschool (they are refusing to send me the consent paperwork to even start
the evaluation).  While I advocate for him with the local school I was
hoping to find a private OT to meet his immediate needs and am not sure
where to start.

Thanks!
--
Heather Breems