[blindkid] Sensory OT

Dr. S. Merchant smerchant at vetmed.lsu.edu
Fri Sep 23 14:36:09 UTC 2011

Heather,  I haven't been following this thread closely, but many a times to
speed things up, I went down to the administrator's office (Director of
Special Ed or whatever the title was) to get forms etc.. or to get things
done more quickly.  I always did it nice, apologized for taking up their
time and thanked them for the role that they played or will play in my
child's education, but nonetheless, was firm on getting forms, getting
things started.  By the time my son graduated high school, I knew every
special ed director, was welcome to stop by, knew of or knew personally most
of the special ed other administrators, teachers, even though some were not
directly involved in my son's education.  It is soooo incredibly helpful to
have met and talked to everyone from the ground up.  So, you are just
starting your journey and my advice is to make yourself known in as nice a
manner as possible.  Having heard some horror stories , I know that nice is
not possible in all instances, but making a concerted effort at the
beginning to be absolutely as nice and thankful as possible, and picking
your battles - (who cares if it comes 1month later than promised... it came)
will make it go so much more smoothly.

I was always willing to wait, because I usually asked for whatever was
needed (technology as an example), 1 year ahead of time, so if it took
awhile to procure and that time was less than one year, I was ahead of the
game.

Don't know if this helps, just what helped me for my son's pre K (3 years
old) - 12th grade education

Sandy Taboada