[blindkid] one good eye

Faye Corman chinadopt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 17:55:07 UTC 2012

Hi Carol,
My son only has one eye, but the vision in his remaining eye is so low that
he's classified as blind. My understanding is the visual impairment is
20/200 vision *with the best possible correction* in the better eye. So if
his eye is 20/20 or within some normal range, then no, he would not qualify
as visually impaired.

I agree eye protection would be very strongly recommended as well as
training to deal with depth issues.

Faye
http://lordprotectusfromevil.blogspot.com/
Hi Guys,

I received a call from a mom with a child who has one blind eye and
one good eye.  I think that he would NOT qualify as visually impaired.

Does anyone have any practical tips I could share with her for
dealing with mobility, safety, social situations, etc. with one eye?

Thanks,
Carol

Carol Castellano
President, Parents of Blind Children-NJ