[blindkid] TVI expertise

Darcirae Hooks draehooks at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 10 16:01:33 UTC 2012

Needs both! My son is at a school for blind children. He is gifted and ADHD. They are great with the blindness but are missing the ADHD component. I feel they roll his behaviors into the blind isms and miss the ADHD. ADHD kids learn differently and love to learn.
Don't make him fit their teaching style, they need the special Ed teacher to figure out how he learns best and consult with the VI.
My other son goes to public school and has moved from remedial math to gifted math in one school year not bc he got smarter but bc the special Ed teacher gave him strategies for learning/performing.
This year the special Ed teacher from our district is going to consult at the school for the blind. Hopefully it will help.
Bottom line..... Cover all your bases!!!

Darci Hooks

Sent from my iPhone