[blindkid] Tech question: Bookshare for Mac with a braille display

Brandon and Sarah lanesims at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 14:20:22 UTC 2012

A little background: Emilia is 9 y/o and has no vision. We have a
pretty new Mac (running Mountain Lion OS), and a new braille display
(Brailliant 32). We're trying to get her up to speed reading Bookshare
downloads on the braille display without speech.

So I'm trying to figure out the easiest/most useful way for Emilia to
read Bookshare books on her braille display without the voice. So far,
I can't seem to make a .brf file work. XML files work using VoiceOver
and the braille display, but we can't (or haven't figured out how to)
bookmark. It also frequently interrupts the narrative by bringing up
little messages like "html cnt" to tell us that the cursor is on an
html object.

Read2Go seems like a great program with cool features, but I think its
just for the iOS devices, not computers. I can't tell if the free
program through Bookshare website, ReadOutloud will do braille only
without the speech.

I would appreciate any tips/advice from those with experience with
this stuff.  Thanks in advance,
Brandon Lane
Idaho