[blindkid] IEP goals for 7th grader

Joy Orton ortonsmom at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 23:45:55 UTC 2012

Dear Lynda,

I found a chart with some reading rates that researchers had measured in
the past. It is on page 3 of this 13-page document.
http://jlr.sagepub.com/content/21/2/155.full.pdf

The seventh grade reading rates look to be between 125 and 175 words per
minute.
Does that help you with your question?

Are the goals you listed samples? You want to make sure the IEP team and
the classroom teacher know that your child's educational goals are broader
than attaining a certain reading speed and writing one kind of text.
Seventh graders should be writing stories, poetry, personal letters,
persuasive writing, and more, in addition to research writing.

I'm an English teacher, so I'll let someone else comment on the math goals.

Best wishes for the IEP process. Take brownies to the meeting. :)

Joy