[blindkid] Board Games for Kids

Wagner, Gail Katona Y wagner_g at aps.edu
Tue Aug 14 19:37:06 UTC 2012

Nothing like posting a month later.........
For a little one who does not yet know Braille, you can make up your own games by using textures, raised stickers/shapes etc. A simple card game of "go fish" can be made using index cards, and putting different textures/shapes/stickers etc. on them. Peel and stick foam stickers are great and easy to use. This way she can practice matching, language, shapes, counting etc. Put 1, 2, or 3 shapes on a card for counting. "Do you have a square? Do you have a card with 3 circles? Do you have rough sandpaper? Do you have soft smooth ribbon? Do you have a ........
I am always surprised when I have students in school who have never played Go Fish! You could also put the Braille on the cards too as well as the tactile shapes etc. for when she begins to read. Be creative and have fun!
Gail