[blindkid] (no subject)

Holly Miller hollym12 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 03:58:10 UTC 2012

My son (11) went to the Louisiana Buddy program.  It was his first time away from home other than sleepovers at a friend.  He was DREADFULLY homesick the first few days.  So much so that I was seriously doubting my decision to send him.  I took a deep breath, resisted my urge to be a helicopter mom and told him it was ok to talk to one of the counsellors about how he was feeling (instead of me calling them). He did and you know what? The next day he told me it helped a little.  I told him I was proud of him for handling it himself.

He started feeling much better over the next couple of days and by the end of he first week he hit his stride & was having a great time.  When it was time to come home, he was asking me if he'd be able to go again next year.  Two weeks later he's still talking about when, not if, he goes next year.

With that said, there are other programs and events that you can do.
The California state convention is in October
http://sixdots.org/2012/08/2012-nfbc-state-convention-pre-registration/
That's a great place to meet other parents and for your daughter to see successful blind adults and children.

Please be a little patient if people can't get back to you right away or are handling things through email.  Al,ost everyone in the organization are volunteers.  Parents have their plates full with back to school craziness.  I know it's frustrating when you feel like you need to do something right away but take a breath, you will meet people that are worth the wait.

Holly