[blindkid] Christmas DVS movies

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri Dec 7 01:21:03 UTC 2012

Arielle,

Your questions are great ones. The answers aren't as simple as one might hope.

At least some DVD players retain the audio setting from the last playback. (Same things for close captioning.) That is a function of the player itself. Computer based units are more likely to track history of previous disks and repeat settings. On DVD, Audio Description is simply another "Language", just like Spanish, French, etc. If you're familiar with the special soundtrack with a director's or actor's commentary that is treated as a language choice as well.

In the cases of which I'm aware the settings are per DVD. Once cannot globally select to default to DVS on a player, (it may be possible on some computer players) and I don't know how many players retain the setting once a disk is taken out. That is the bad news. The good news is that most NEWER players have an "Audio" button on the remote which lets you cycle through audio selections without ever going through the menus. Very handy.

Another way to access the audio on a few newer DVDs is with a handy splash screen that comes up before anything else. I appreciate that option, only the screen is unique per movie and there is not generally a sound cue to tell you what to select if you cannot see. Still it means some companies are trying. One of the Toy Stories (I guess #3?) has that feature. I've seen it on maybe three different films.

Absolutely the best way to control this without sight for now, is to use a newer unit with the Audio select on the remote.

As to TV Shows? The short answer is if they have the English DVS expect to find it under "Spanish" audio.

I actually wrote a fairly detailed article on this topic a few months ago which is still fairly current if you're interested. Here is the link:

https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr31/3/fr310312.htm