[blindkid] Gifted testing

Holly Baker Miller hollym12 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 02:25:39 UTC 2012

There have been great responses so far so I'll just add a +1 instead of
rambling on.

Something to keep in mind is there is a difference between policy and
regulation.  I'd probably ask to see (not be told, see)  the regulation
that says no accommodations are allowed for this particular test.
Oh...there is no written regulation?  It's just their policy?  Great!
 Policies can be changed!

This is a grown up problem, not a Hannah problem.  They may not want to go
to the trouble of finding an appropriate way to test her but it's their job
to figure it out.
It really is as simple as that.  Of course it doesn't mean it will be
simple to get them to see it that way but the root of it is that simple.
 I'm saying that as a parent who is in the midst of a court case against
the school.  I can't say much about it publicly but yeah, it's not fun.
 It's certainly not something to rush into but it's there if all other
options fail.  I do tell parents never ever threaten legal action.
 Threatening never ever helps.  If all other options have been exhausted
then file the papers but don't put it out there it until you have all the
pieces in place to act on it.

Holly