[blindkid] Hello

Carol Castellano carol_castellano at verizon.net
Sun Jan 1 17:47:05 UTC 2012

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to our list.  I'm so glad you wrote.  I think you have
received some great ideas--Lilli Nielsen's work and Joe Cutter's book
are the best!

I thought I would say a few more words about Lilli's approach.  She
developed it for blind children who are up to three years old,
developmentally speaking.  As others have said, the idea is to create
an environment that encourages the child to move and act upon the
world, rather than being passive.  Instead of the adult leading the
play, the adult joins the child in play.  The child gets to make
discoveries and eventually make comparisons--this is learning.

If you read some of Lilli's work and learn the basics, maybe you can
pass the information along to her daycare providers and perhaps some
of her day can be set up so that she can have these active learning
experiences.  Regarding her therapies, I think you have to try to
find the balance between putting the baby into positions that will
help her physical development and keeping her calm and cooperative so
that she can actually benefit from the positioning.  Our daughter,
when she was little, also used to cry when the therapists worked with
her.  I could see that she was getting so upset that she was not
benefiting from their actions.

Our solution was for the therapists to show me the positions using a
doll and then I would work with my daughter, who tolerated my putting
her into those positions much better than the therapists doing
it.  Another benefit was that this enabled me to incorporate these
positions throughout the day--changing her diaper, playing with her,
etc.  Maybe you could do the actions with your daughter and then
teach them to her daycare providers.

Lilli Nielsen also created equipment that placed the baby in good
positions for development and learning.  I think you will get a lot
out of investigating this.

Good luck and please feel free to call or email me offlist if you
would like to continue this conversation.

Best wishes,
Carol

Carol Castellano
President, Parents of Blind Children-NJ