[blindkid] Math for kindergarten

Penny Duffy pennyduffy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 05:02:05 UTC 2012

Laurie..
Its important to remember that numbers are NOT hard to learn. Its not
saying that some children who have delays in other areas may struggle to
learn them but they are not any harder to learn then print letters. They
follow right behind learning the letters just like a sighted child
would. Did she learn her letters only recently?

Manipulatives are great and can be really invaluable learning concepts
but it should replace a child doing their own work. Its also important to
remember that she will learn her numbers (and letters) quicker by using
them.  Just like reading. Maybe she makes some mistakes but she is in
kindergarten.

If the concern is she is going to overwhelm doing the assignment in pieces.
 One day give her problems verbally but have her answer in braille.  Have
her read the problems in braille and give you the answers verbally.  Than
ease her into doing both.

The goal is always to get her to be doing the same work as her peers.   You
lose part of the lesson by only doing work verbally.  You daughter may
surprise everyone if she is given a chance to succeed.

--
--Penny