[blindkid] From a crib to a bed?

Carly B barnesraiser at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 18:34:14 UTC 2012

Hi Sarah,

When we adopted our blind son at age 5, we put him straight into a toddler
bed that we got at Ikea. Interesting to me, Ikea toddler beds are to
European standards, not U.S. and so they are more narrow and longer. As a
result, at least for us, the bed worked just fine for our then 5yo until he
was about 7. (And he is not a small kid... 80th percentile on the U.S.
charts.)

Ikea beds come with mattresses. We spent about $100 and except for sheets
(which are very reasonable) regular bedding can fit on it. We snugged it
between the wall and our bed (for attachment reasons) and it fit just
perfect. When we finally put him in his own bedroom in a twin bed, he was
fine.

I'm not sure where you live or how near an Ikea store may be to you, but
here's a link (there's even a bed with three sides that against a wall
would act much like a crib:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/childrens_ikea/18723/

hth!

:) Carolynn