[blindkid] Septo-optic dysplasia?

trising trising at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 22 21:35:24 UTC 2012

Hello:

    My name is Terri Wilcox. I am 41, and have septo optic dysplasia. I am totally blind and take hormone replacements. The
endocrine difficulties with this disorder are far more challenging to manage than total blindness from birth. This has not stopped
me from reading Braille at age four, and obtaining a Master's Degree. I live in a town house with my husband who is also totally
blind, but not from Sod. I only say this to let you know that your daughter can have an ordinary independent life, once her medical
conditions are diagnosed and managed. I am sorry I cannot recommend an endocrinologist in New England, as I am not from that area.
Feel free to ask any question. The only stupid question is the one that is never asked. There is an online support group specific to
Sod, but NFB philosophy is the most positive concerning blindness of any I have ever encountered. I hope some of this has helped.
Sorry it is long.

Sincerely,
Terri Wilcox
Secretary, National Federation of the Blind of Michigan
Ann Arbor Chapter President