[blindkid] Rumor: New haptic feedback touchscreen bound for the iPad 3

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Thu Mar 8 15:57:53 UTC 2012

This reminds me of a piece I looked at last year at NC State. They have a day where various software that has been designed for the blind by students is exhibited to blind students. They thought this would be an interesting tie-in. There is technical equipment that is designed to offer a tactile experience of very small objects. One grasps a handle and moves virtually across items to feel them. Imagine running a probe across a surface that is not viewable, and in this case, also too small to see if one could view it.

I think this particular piece was designed for surgeons to experience the feel of vary small parts inside of a body and discover detail that cannot be accessed either visually or by touch because typical fingers cannot detect such small details. The interface is totally different, but the notion of a computer driven 3-D interface it pretty exciting.

I may be mistaken, but I think there was a way to do this in real time with a source piece being explored and the texture being magnified by the device, or the information can be stored digitally and reaccessed at a later time.

Richard