[blindkid] Help with PT and OT Meeting

Sarah Dallis sarah.dallis at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 10:12:46 UTC 2012

We don't have a room per say but we don't have her nicely surrounded by toys while she's on the floor. She has a blanket on the floor (because she doesn't exactly like the carpet and it has just enough room for her to sit or lay down. Is this sort of what you're talking about?

Sent from Sarah's iPhone

On Mar 25, 2012, at 11:09 PM, "Heather Field" <missheather at comcast.net> wrote:

> Hello Sarah,
> I applaud you for getting a second opinion and looking for other therapists. It's clear these current folks do not respect your opinions or your input. I would certainly fire them and move on. Evidence is showing that your daughter is being harmed, not helped, by their intervention. I don't mean to be negative but I really don't believe that you will accomplish much by meeting with the current therapists. I encourage you to go looking for new people who will believe in your daughter's abilities.
>
> I believe that you and your husband could make a Little Room playspace for your daughter yourselves. Your therapists have had time to do it and they haven't, so I would try it yourself. I believe there are some plans floating around the internet. Perhaps someone on this list has access to them. Perhaps if you Google it you can see enough pictures to make it. I'm sure pvc piping from your local hardware store could be used for the frame. I would love to speak with you. If you would like to chat, email me off list with your phone number and we can talk and I can give you very specific advice.
>
> Warmly,
> Heather
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Sarah Dallis
> Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2012 9:48 PM
> To: Deborah Kent Stein ; Blind Kid Mailing List,(for parents of blind children)
> Subject: Re: [blindkid] Help with PT and OT Meeting
>
> Thank you Deborah! This was in my email to them in December :)
>
> On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Deborah Kent Stein <dkent5817 at att.net>wrote:
>

>> Dear Sarah,
>>
>> It sounds like Ellie might benefit greatly from the work of Dr. Lilli
>> Nielsen, the Danish educator who developed the Active Learning approach for
>> work with young blind children.  The idea is to place the child in an
>> environment that encourages curiosity and exploration.  She has published a
>> number of books and articles, and designed several pieces of equipment.
>> The
>> best-known is a self-contained environment called the Little Room.  You can
>> learn more about Dr. Nielsen's work at www.lilliworks.org.  I hope this
>> helps!
>>
>> Debbie
>>

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sarah Dallis" <sarah.dallis at gmail.com>

>>> one. I'm ready to completely fire the PT even if I'm not impressed with

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/**options/blindkid_nfbnet.org/**