[blindkid] How to chose a notetaker?

Sally Thomas seacknit at gmail.com
Sun May 13 22:20:25 UTC 2012

An assistive technology assessment is good if you can trust the assessor to
come up with an independent, accurate assessment.  You may find that they
just come up with the answer that is most expedient for them.  You may need
one for their record keeping but having an idea about what is out there can
be helpful.

I believe that choice of a notetaker is sort of like the choice of any
other technology--each has plusses and minuses and each has its devotees.
 That said, we have found that Humanware has excellent customer service and
the Apex is a nice, lightweight device.  It can pair with Apple devices so
that it can be used as a Braille display or braille input device when using
the iPad, iPhone or Macbook.  It seems to me that kids take to it like they
do most technology--it's not intimidating.  Last night when we needed to
find out how to use the onboard calculator to calculate the tangent of an
angle, it was easy to find the information on line to get the homework
going.

I'm really pleased with the fact that my son can call tech support and they
will help him solve problems.  I'm pretty sure that he has been doing this
independently since he was Hank's age.  We would listen in at first to help
out but now David handles all his tech related issues.

Sally Thomas