[blindkid] apple netbooks

Rosina Solano colemangirly at yahoo.com
Mon May 21 20:49:43 UTC 2012

Okay, I stated that I am looking for a netbook for my son for high school.  I have also been advised to not jump into the ipad arena just yet, that he needs to learn the computer skills first.  I am okay with that.  Now I am wondering about apple versus other netbooks.  I know that there is a big price difference.  My idea is that is comes installed with Voice Over.  If I get a netbook then I also have to get JAWS for a screen reader.  So I am just wondering if using the apple netbook will do the same as any other computer.  I see that it is compatable with his braille sense plus.  So I am just looking for which way to go and why.  He needs to be able to email his homework directly to his teachers and get it back.  To do powerpoint presentations, etc.  He already has good braille skills and uses an abacus extremely well.  He does well in school, but we are WAY behind in the tech dept.  We live rural and so do not have it at home either, so
 this is all new for all of us.  No cell phones, no ipods, nothing tech other than his braille sense.  I use internet several times a week at the local library, but if we get him going we plan on getting internet at home.  This is very overwhelming for us so please talk plainly.

Thanks;