[blindkid] [Blindtlk] Fw: Mass. school electrocutes blind girl

Sally Thomas seacknit at gmail.com
Mon May 21 22:35:55 UTC 2012

Peter,

While I am a big proponent of NOPBC, I think it is a bit naive to think
that our group could prevent the willful abuse of a child at a school for
the blind.  The parents of NOPBC groups around the country work hard to
provide support and information to parents in their state but they
generally don't have access to the inner workings of state institutions.
 Even when I was on the Education Advisory Committee at the Texas School
for the Blind and Visually Impaired I did not have privileged information
about the day to day actions at the school.

The reason I feel I need to respond to your statements is that I don't want
new parents to get the idea that NOPBC is some kind of quasi governmental
watchdog with paid staff people.  We are parents.  Many of us have full
time jobs "outside the home."  We volunteer hundreds of hours to help blind
kids and their parents. The key word is volunteer.  It is extremely
difficult to organize parents and kids with our limited resources of time
and money.  Even though New Jersey has many strong parents leaders, it took
the courts to get a blind kid braille!

I admire your faith in our power as parents but I want it to be clear that
even when we are wearing our SuperParent capes, we can't do it all.

Sally Thomas