[blindkid] white cane on school bus

Penny Duffy pennyduffy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 17:14:05 UTC 2012

Well there is many laws and perhaps someone can direct you to certain
parts.  off the top of my head.

American with Disabilities Act

Also since the school bus is part of the school district (ether as a
department or a subcontracted company) This is also an IDEA issue.  The use
of the child's cane shoudl be addressed in the IEP.

The state may also have a white cane law.

This is very shocking for me and I don't understand why this keeps
happening.  This is much worse than what happened to my daughter at
the museum because this affected the child's education.

The bus department/company are going to address this because its very
serious.

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Mark Feliz <mafeliz0641 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have just been made aware of a situation where a blind elementary
> student was not aloud to take her cane onboard a school bus. I am
> quite sure this is special ed transportation. The driver stated that
> it would be unsafe for the other students. Of course this is illegal
> on so many levels but is there any legislation some one can direct me
> to that I can quickly pull down and give to this student's mother?
>
> Thanks

> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindkid_nfbnet.org/pennyduffy%40gmail.com

--Penny