[blindkid] white cane on school bus

Carol Castellano carol_castellano at verizon.net
Tue Nov 20 17:46:13 UTC 2012

Do we know what state the student is in?  Most (maybe all) states
have White Cane laws.  Here's are excerpts from the Illinois law, for example :

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=2271&ChapterID=64
HUMAN RIGHTS
(775 ILCS 30/) White Cane Law.

(775 ILCS 30/2) (from Ch. 23, par. 3362)
     Sec. 2. It is the policy of this State to encourage and enable
the blind, the visually handicapped and the otherwise physically
disabled to participate fully in the social and economic life of the
State and to engage in remunerative employment.
(Source: P.A. 76-663.)

     (775 ILCS 30/3) (from Ch. 23, par. 3363)
     Sec. 3. The blind, the visually handicapped, the hearing
impaired, persons who are subject to epilepsy or other seizure
disorders, and the otherwise physically disabled have the same right
as the able-bodied to the full and free use of the streets, highways,
sidewalks, walkways, public buildings, public facilities and other
public places.
     The blind, the visually handicapped, the hearing impaired,
persons who are subject to epilepsy or other seizure disorders, and
the otherwise physically disabled are entitled to full and equal
accommodations, advantages, facilities and privileges of all common
carriers, airplanes, motor vehicles, railroad trains, motor buses,
street cars, boats or any other public conveyances or modes of
transportation, hotels, lodging places, places of public
accommodation, amusement or resort and other places to which the
general public is invited, subject only to the conditions and
limitations established by law and applicable alike to all persons.

(775 ILCS 30/4) (from Ch. 23, par. 3364)
     Sec. 4. Any person or persons, firm or corporation, or the agent
of any person or persons, firm or corporation who denies or
interferes with admittance to or enjoyment of the public facilities
enumerated in Section 3 of this Act or otherwise interferes with the
rights of a totally or partially blind or otherwise disabled person
under Section 3 of this Act shall be guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
(Source: P.A. 77-2830.)

from Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_cane#Legislation_about_canes :
In the <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States>United States,
laws vary from state to state, but in all cases, those carrying white
canes are afforded the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-of-way_(traffic)>right-of-way
when crossing a road. They are afforded the right to use their cane
in any public place as well.

Hope this helps.

Carol

Carol Castellano