[blindkid] Test Prep

EMMOL at aol.com EMMOL at aol.com
Mon Oct 8 01:00:40 UTC 2012

Dr. V,
After registering for the tests and creating an account, my son,  Patrick,
tried the online sample questions provided by ETS. Not always easy  to do
with JAWS, but that was a few years back. Then ETS would send prep  materials
in Braille to my son's guidance counselor,  who happened to be  the testing
coordinator in our high school. I believe they were copies of old  tests.
They also sent a Braille booklet of Nemeth symbols that would be used in  the
math section of the SAT.

The PSAT in Braille was only offered on the Wednesday before the PSAT
Saturday date. A challenge to find a quiet testing environment on a normal  high
school day with a couple of thousand teenagers moving around the  building
following their usual schedules, not quite like the totally quiet  building
the other kids have on a Saturday morning. Also, when testing on a
Wednesday, one misses the regularly scheduled classes and is of course  responsible
for presented information. Looked into this and it is just the way  it is
done, throughout the country, I was told. I decided this was one of those
"Pick and choose your battles" situations.
Guessing you may have a couple of years before dealing with the AP  final
exam testing. That was another whole situation and a battle I chose to
fight.
Eileen Molloy