[blindkid] ACT/(PLAN = Pre-ACT) & SAT/PSAT Questions

Pat Renfranz dblair2525 at msn.com
Tue Oct 16 13:06:09 UTC 2012

Sorry- PSAT. I assume the SAT and AP exams would be similar, but don't
know--like you say, one stops assuming at some point.

In our case, the Braille practice tests came with the 2012 test; if the
school doesn't have the practice tests yet, do they have the real test?

Whoever is transcribing answers onto the answer sheet needs to know how to
enter "student-produced response questions" in the PSAT math section. There
are specific instructions on how to do so in the test guide, but I would not
assume any given teacher/proctor would review the guide, thinking the test
is all multiple choice.

Another thing to be aware of: the College Board uses different language for
extended time than other tests she has been exposed to: "100% extended time"
means double time, 200% is triple. People at the school don't seem to
understand this, so we will be having a discussion with them today. It feels
like we are re-inventing the wheel.

The pre-ACT test situation sounds patently unfair.

Good luck to Vejas on Wednesday!
Pat

On 10/15/12 11:29 PM, "Eric Vasiliauskas" <icdx at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Thanks Pat. Which braille practice test are you referring to: ACT? SAT?
PSAT?
> or PLAN?

V takes the PSAT Wednesday (since all kids who take the PLAN in
> Braille
format have to take it on Wednesday instead of Saturday like
> everyone
else, he will pretty much miss all his classes that day ->
> who's
insightful decision was that?) We still haven't received the pretest
> that
is supposed to accompany the Braille PSAT - the school is hoping it
> will
come tomorrow…

For all you with younger kids - exposure to (& mastery
> of) graphics of all
sorts is important: on the PLAN (Pre-ACT) my son says that
> virtually the
whole science section was based on graphics: charts, tables,
> graphs, etc.
For this they are on their own & can't ask for clarification.

> states that a number of the graphics in the PLAN were not labeled
properly,
> making them hard or impossible to understand. He says there was
one bar graph
> in which all the bars were short & the all the same size.

Also there was a
> portion of the language arts section that was confusing.
The directions
> referred to underlined words or phrases. V kept searching
for the braille
> underline symbol, then after a while realized that for the
PLAN test they
> decided to note underlining by embossing a LINE embossed
ABOVE the words or
> phrases. This would not seem to conform to my
understanding of accepted
> transcription standards.

The combination of the above 2 irregularities is
> what makes me question if
they actually used a certified transcriber for the
> PLAN test. (I learned
to stop assuming long ago :-(

We'll see how Wednesday
> goes…
Eric

On 10/15/12 6:58 PM, "Pat Renfranz" <dblair2525 at msn.com>
> [...]

>very high end type of swell paper, so lines are lines, and dots are
> dots.
>There is also a description of the figure, so that she knows what to
> look
>for (example: this is circle with an equilateral triangle drawn
> within
>it).
>She has not noticed any problems with the Braille. The line
> numbering
>system
>used on the verbal section is a little difficult, but
> useable.
>C's test will be proctored by the TVI. Her TVI considers this to be
> part
>of
>the school "experience," not as extracurricular.
>Pat
>

>On
> 10/14/12 11:52 AM, "Eric Vasiliauskas" <icdx at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi
> All,
>> My son took the PLAN (pre-ACT) on Saturday & will be taking the
> PSAT
>> Wednesday. This is the first time our district is administering
> these
>>to a
>> braille-using student (at least in this century).
>> On behalf
> of my son, I¹d appreciate any insights/thoughts you have on
>>the
>>
> following:
>> 1.     Based on what my son shared about the graphics &
> formatting, do
>>any
>> of you know if the Braille version of these National
> Standardized Tests
>>are
>> produced & proofed by certified transcribers?
>>

>> 2.    Who in your experience typically proctors these tests? How
> often
>>is
>> the TVI?
>>
>> 3.    How much clarification is the proctor
> allowed to give? My son had
>>been
>> specifically instructed that he could
> not ask for any clarifications,
>>but it
>> seemed like for some of the
> graphics, not all the information was there
>>or
>> presented properly in the
> braille version.
>>
>> 4.    What do you perceive the role of the TVI to be
> leading up to these
>> tests, preparing for these tests, & potentially in
> their administration
>>(is
>> this considered in the TVI world to be an
> "extracurricular" activity or
>>part
>> of a student's educational
> experience)?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Respectfully,
>> EricV

> change your list options or get your account info for

blindkid
blindkid at nfbnet.org