[blindkid] Trekking Poles (Hiking Poles) Suggestions Wanted

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Oct 19 20:53:37 UTC 2012

Is this a special activity where a cane wouldn't work?  I can see that it might be nice to have a longer cane, but a child isn't
likely to have the strength to effectively use something longer or heavier to be certain of the path ahead, or is this the sort of
walk where everyone has to use something because of the rugged environment?

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 16:11:16 -0400, Richard Holloway wrote:

>I think this came up a while back. I'm wondering what works best for hiking as far as finding your way with no vision on a nature
walk hike etc.. I am aware of trekking poles or hiking poles and thinking this is the way to go for my daughter age 10 (no light
perception).

>What have others found? Got any suggestions of what works best or what to avoid? General guidelines or specific product
references are all welcome.

>My gut says to look for one piece rugged poles. As far as length I wonder if there is a preferred reference from users who have
experimented with them. Even if I find some to explore in a store before we buy (as opposed to mail order) it isn't going to be
the same as a test outing on a trail in the woods.